I am writing to update you further with regards to the whole school closure that will take place from the end of the day today.
The fewer young people making the journey to school, and the fewer young people in educational settings, the lower the risk that the coronavirus can spread and infect vulnerable individuals in wider society.
During this period of enforced closure the school will remain open from 9.00am – 2.30pm for children of key workers. Please make us aware if you are a key worker. If your work is critical to the COVID-19 response, or you work in one of the critical sectors listed below, and you cannot keep your child safe at home then your children will be prioritised for education provision:
- Health and social care
- Education and childcare
- Key public services
- Local and national government
- Food and other necessary goods
- Public safety and national security
- Specific Transport workers
- Utilities, communication and financial services
Please email [email protected] or contact us via telephone on 01332 204040. Please let us know your child’s name, your employer and if you intend to send your son/daughter to school during the period of enforced closure. Thank you to those of you who have already been in contact.
The school will also remain open for vulnerable children. Vulnerable children are young people with an Education Health and Care Plan, Looked After Children, Children subject to a Child Protection Order and young people classed as Child In Need. We have contacted parents/carers already to invite these young people into school.
Please follow these key principles during the enforced closure:
- If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be.
- If a child needs specialist support, is vulnerable or has a parent who is a critical worker, then educational provision will be available for them.
- Parents should not rely for childcare upon those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions.
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults.
- Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible.
If your son/daughter has been invited to attend school next week, school will be open from 9.00am until 2.30pm. Students should attend with equipment and in full school uniform. We will be providing breakfast and lunch for students in line with our normal arrangements.
If your child is eligible for free school meals but is not attending school we are working to purchase supermarket vouchers. In the short term a packed lunch will be available for collection from Reception for eligible students. Students or parents/carers can collect the packed lunch from Reception between 11.00am and 1.00pm each day, until further notice.
Thank you for your ongoing support during these unprecedented times. The College Reception and telephone lines remain open during the closure. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information or support.